Google

25 August 2005

I'm in Goa, and you're not.

Yes, Goa is great, all palmy-beachy in the heart of Summer. The rain here has just stopped, so there are really few people around. It's seriously chilled out. My hotel is on the beach and I'm paying four euro per night for the room. The sea is warm and beer cold. I'm not sure I'll have much else to say on this blog any more. I'm hoping my life will be eventless for the next week.

Ah.

I still did some sightseeing when I arrived though. I met a couple of English sisters on the plane, so we saw the sights of the capital, Panaji, on our first evening. That took ten minutes, so we went and had dinner instead. Prawn vindaloo I had. Tasty.

The next day we went to Old Goa. This was the capital when the Portugese first arrived, and all the religious orders were sent to convert the locals. Therefore, there are half a dozen of the biggest cathedrals in Asia within a few minutes walk of each other, in a town that is essentially a really well kept ghost-town, but that, it is said, used to rival Lisbon in its magnificence.

Later that day, we hopped on a bus to the beach we had carefully chosen. They decided on this beach because it is supposed to have the perfect mixture of a laid back atmosphere with a good night-life. I decided on coming here because it's called Anjuna, and so sounds like everybody's favourite Celtic vocal ensemble. I think I made the right decision.

By sheer coincidence, I met a couple of guys down here that I had met in Delhi (when they saved me from a firey Kashmiri who wanted to kick my ass - a story for another time), so yesterday we rented mopeds and toured around a bit. I ate crab curry on the beach as the sun set over the Arabian Sea. And to think, I could have been dragging 25kg of luggage through 40 degree heat, trying to find a cheap hotel in Jodhpur. Yes, I think I made the right choice.

I think I might go to another beach in a day or so. Then again, I might not. I can do what I like. Life is good.

Toby.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

4:22 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home